These Coconut Jello Bites bring back childhood nostalgia in its purest form: gummy candy and Jello. There are few things that scream kid-friendly such as gummy worms, Jello and gummy bears.
Some may consider these candy and guilty treats, but it turns out that the gelatinous properties held in these coconut jello bites are not only good for you- but paleo staples.
Gelatin, in its purest form, is the protein that forms a matrix giving these treats their appealing dense and jiggly texture. We’re talking about the pure stuff without added sugars, colors and mystery ingredients.
A paleo diet is centered on the copious amounts of raw nutrients we should be getting from animals and their by-products. An integral component of this diet is gelatin via slow-cooked meats, bones and connective tissues. Once consumed, this gelatin helps build connective tissue, heal your gut and many praise its skin-transforming properties.
Bone broths and stocks are something to be consumed regularly for their plethora of health benefits, but they can sometimes be too time-consuming to whip up. In comes gelatin supplementation. Our gurus at the Weston A. Price Foundation sing the praises of two brands of gelatin, Bernard Jensen and Great Lakes. Both are made from grass-fed cows, are minimally processed to reduce free glutamic acids and are void of sugar or other ingredients. They are virtually flavorless and blend well into smoothies or hot coffee or teas.
We created the Coconut Jello Bites recipe to appease our love for coconuts, but feel free to add any ingredients you desire to change up the flavor. We experimented with many different ratios of water to gelatin, and one cup of water to 5 tablespoons of gelatin make a great firm texture- and the 11 ounces of coconut water make it jiggly perfection. Another fun ingredient to play around with in the kitchen and a great nutritional powerhouse!
Coconut Jello Bites Prep Time: 5 minutes
Coconut Jello Bites Set Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup filtered water
- 1 small bottle of coconut water (or about 11 oz. worth)
- 5 tablespoons gelatin powder
- 2 teaspoons coconut cream
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened coconut flakes or shreds
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon vanilla bean powder or organic vanilla extract
- 1 tsp granulated stevia or 10 drops liquid stevia
- ¼ tsp Himalayan Pink salt
Coconut Jello Bites Instructions
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Reduce the heat and whisk in the gelatin powder until it is dissolved.
- Transfer to a glass bowl and incorporate all the remaining ingredients, while whisking continuously.
- Pour the liquid mixture into ice trays, let in cool and then refrigerate.
- The Gelatin should set within an hour.
- Pop out of ice trays with a butter knife, and divide into smaller pieces and store in a glass container.
- Keep refrigerated, and the Coconut Jello Bites should remain delicious for up to a week.